Dancing the jazz away

From my point of view, the jazz festival reached a high peak these two days. We had our main event tonight by the poolterras of hotel Torarica, who has been our jazz partner for years now.

Denis Lapassion from French Guyana.
The scene was simple, just a few candles that were romancing the night a little. But again a lot of people came out to enjoy the lineup, which started with Denis Lapassion from French Guyana. I was stunned when I had a short talk with him, prior to his performance. "In my country other than a jazz festival every two years we have no other jazz concerts." I can't believe my ears. But Denis gets a lot of invitations to perform in the world. I was glad to hear that. As a great pianist, it would be a great lost if he couldn't share his gifts with the world like he did this past weekend with us. And the fact that he sold quite some cd's proofs that Suriname loves his music. Also because it comes close to our kaseko jazz.

The guys in suits took the stage again. They wanted us to dance, so at the last two songs, I was asked to join in the dance. And so I did. Don't ask me what I did, but I danced to super jazz. That's how Bruut! is describing their music. The thing is that at some point the music starts going faster and faster. So I don't know if what I did was dancing but watching the other dancers we just had extreme dancing fun.

The guys in suits: Bruut!
The night was closed by the very talented Ernesto van Dal. He managed to get some of the best musicians and singers that are living in Suriname together and perform some songs. Ernesto, you really got to give me the clue how to do that!! I had a few favorite parts. Hearing the popular Surinamese song Kondre nomru wan (the number one country in the world) from the composer himself John van Dal, the incredible sounds coming from Randell Heye and his trumpet playing Autumn in New York, the drum solo of Walther Muringen where he got up from his chair and kept on drumming, Luigino Rosa who was adding a sweet Caribbean flavor with his percussion, hearing that awesome voice of Lucretia Muringen again and last but not least Powl Ameerali who got the visitors to dance again. A long list, but one with which you get the idea what a great night it was.

Ernesto van Dal who managed to get at least 15 musicians and singers together on one stage.

Someone told me later: "The vibe here was really nice tonight. I did enjoy it. I even met friends I haven't seen in a long while." And that's exactly why we as a board are doing this and love what we do. Ehm…our musical director Sergio took this love literally though. I don't know how, but he did find the time to practice with Ernesto and his friends and so he did a great job performing as well.

And so there is just one more night to go. Tomorrow we have our 5th and last festival day. I'm exhausted but still got enough energy to go and enjoy the last tunes.

So will you bring some energy of you to help us through the night? See you at 21 at Rumors in hotel Krasnapolsky. I promise you, we have saved the best for last.

Jazzy odi,
Roseternal

Pictures by: Peter Thielen/BNO

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Het lied "Zestien April" is een echte traditional

De diepzinnige teksten van Kasekolegende Iwan Esseboom

Johan 'Sjam' Blom: The Number One Showman