Goût de France: 2 restaurants, 2 flavours, 1 delicious experience

And there I was. As secretary of the Suriname Chefs Association, we had a hand in contacting chefs and restaurants to participate in the Gout de France or Good France on March 21th. The day that it's all about the French cuisine.

The lunch...all in one plate.
Yes, I had French food before, well if you want to call it food. A baguette with garlic butter and maybe a thing or two more. Things I don't even remember while writing this. But I can tell I will remember French food after today Monday, March 21, 2016.
And now with ambiance. Even important for the experience.
Of the 3 restaurants, I visited two. I started with the lunch in Hotel Torarica. It was on the Pool deck, which meant that coming in the buffet was staring you in the eyes with a whole lot of color. Yellow (potatoes), green (salad), purple (Ratatouille), brown (beef), creme (chicken) and another dark brown for the fish. And of course bread with garlic butter and a glass of wine. It was magnifique. I had to eat very slow in order to take it all in slowly but surely. My favorite part was the fish which had a sauce that I couldn't stop eating. And that dressing for the salad...! And no, I don't know all the names, those you will have to ask chef Cherwin Alexander. Cause this great food is all his 'fault'. Speaking about the chef, he finished this tasty lunch by bringing some awesome dessert. A French cake with nuts -fresh outta the oven- with vanilla ice-cream. Oooh, la la...

One note on the very personal side. The chicken was delish, only way too big. But as I understand it was done the French way.

We were privileged. Chef Cherwin served us the dessert in person.


Oh...I almost forgot the honey going with the cake and ice-cream. Craving this one as I type.

Chef Sherwin, my modest advice is to please often add this French lunch to the menu.

Dinner @ Spice Quest

In the evening I scooped over to Spice Quest, where I started off with a champagne cocktail. Perfect. I almost got the feeling of eating the Surinamese Her' heri when I had the bacalao on fruit bread, but then a very sophisticated Her'heri. I skipped the Shrimp in tamarind marinade and in that exact moment I had to move from outdoors to indoors because it was starting to rain. I must say the ambiance at SQ is inside or outside very relax and smooth, so I had no problem whatsoever to move.

My taste buds got spoiled with the char-grilled veal prime rib which was served with antroewa and buttered cassava. I must be honest. I simply looooooove antroewa, but I simply couldn't compare it with the rest. So I had to leave that alone...the bitterness got way too deep. But again: that counts for my personal buds.

Great course..that antroewa tho :)

The fabulous meal was finished off with a grilled pineapple melba with coconut sorbet and passion fruit coulis, and a combination cheese platter. The latter with typical French cheese. Oh, I had wine as well..the completion of this perfect dinner.

Dessert..gotta taste it to believe it.

So after two restaurants and two flavors, I can say I had one delicious French cuisine experience in my own country. But now I have a problem tho: I need to visit France very soon..no not to compare but to do enjoy some more of this awesomeness called French cuisine. Au revoir!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Het lied "Zestien April" is een echte traditional

De diepzinnige teksten van Kasekolegende Iwan Esseboom

Johan 'Sjam' Blom: The Number One Showman