Caribbean Sea Jazz 2015 - Experiencing a lot more than jazz

When I first came across the lineup for Caribbean Sea Jazz 2015 only two names really struck me: Earth Wind & Fire and Roy Hargrove. The rest of the names I had to freshen up while some of them I had never heard of.

And when it became clear that I was joining the festival I knew I was in for a treat when I started to listen to the music and read the bios. I couldn't wait to see some of them perform live. One thing I can say: it was worth the wait.

Back at the hotel, I'm so boosted on this first night that I decided to write my experience down first before heading to bed. I arrived early. When we came in the first (local) group The Failures welcomed me in a special way with the song about "Rosita and Clementina". For me, nothing could go wrong anymore. I watched them for a while and started exploring the festival area. For me, it's new since the last time I was at CSJ it was in 2012, the last year at their previous location: Cas di Cultura. Love the new set up by the way.

After some more music, the time was finally there for Roy Hargrove. And boy oh boy...I stood there in awe. He looked like a 'the kid from the block making his childhood dreams a reality'. A simple young man with a great set of musicians around him. And then this lady who was sitting behind a set of keys came forward and started to sing...and added so much more to the perfect sounds. I'm glad I saw him playing live. It's a lot to consume and while I'm writing this I can still hear him play...

Please forgive me when I skip right to Earth Wind & Fire The Experience. As we all know the original guys aren't there anymore...but Al McKay (5 Grammy's & 4 AMA's for producing and writing their songs) original EW&F guitarist has his own band. But not just another band. First, you have these 3 vocalists, with all the right voices and dance moves. The horn section, adding 'color' to the song as they sound originally, this drummer playing it so cool but being on point and not to forget the percussionist, keyboard player and bass player. I enjoyed them playing all the songs I know and don't know. Yeah, usually it takes time for me to enjoy a song I don't know...these guys made sure I enjoyed them all. Reasons, September, Boogie Wonderland, After the love is gone, and so one. I sang my lungs out. They finished but had to come back for some extra.
Earth Wind and Fire are getting there groove on.

The night ended the right way..with the smooth sounds of the Mike Stern Band. No show, just good music. The perfect way to end the first day of the jazz festival. Wondering what tomorrow will bring, I'll go to bed with all the songs, notes, tunes and moves still in my head. It was a great evening. See you tomorrow.

For snippets of the concerts: follow me on Instagram @roseternalmedia.
Or come back here tomorrow after I added some pictures.

#arubajazz15

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Het lied "Zestien April" is een echte traditional

De diepzinnige teksten van Kasekolegende Iwan Esseboom

Johan 'Sjam' Blom: The Number One Showman